Share your convention story! In order to create and preserve an accessible archive of cultural and historical data, and to develop awareness and appreciation of the rich cultural identity and intellectual traditions of Sigma Tau Delta, we invite student convention attendees to submit their convention stories. First-time attendees are especially encouraged to submit.
We are seeking short blogs (100-400 words) or video blogs (3 minutes or less) detailing your experience and what the convention meant to you. For inspiration, check the winning stories form the 2015 Convention:
1st Prize: Finding Home in the Borderlands, by Amber M. Rose
2nd Prize: English Majors ARE Job Ready, by Sean Pebler
3rd Prize: Gifts From My First Convention, by Shelly Romero
A first, second, and third place prize will be offered in the amounts of $100, $60, and $40, respectively. At the judges’ discretion, up to two runner-up entries will be considered.
- The entrant must be a student member of Sigma Tau Delta, and must have attended the 2016 convention.
- Limit one entry per person.
- Prizes will be awarded by April 29 and winning entries will be published on WORDY by Nature.
- Winners will be paid in the form of a check, so be sure to indicate to whom you want the check made out if different from your signed name.
- The blog submission link will open here on March 14.
- The blog submission deadline is April 4.
Format and Pictures
All documentation for all entries:
- Must be 12-point, Times New Roman font
- Must be no fewer than 100, and no more than 400 words
- Must be submitted as a Word document (.doc or .docx)
- Must be submitted as an attachment, and in the email to which it is attached, you must provide:
- Your name
- Email address
- Name of school and name of your Sigma Tau Delta chapter (see Chapter Directory)
- Year you were inducted into Sigma Tau Delta
- Must follow the Sigma Tau Delta Writing Style Guide and MLA
- Should skip a line between paragraphs
- Must be accompanied by a headshot of the writer
- Must include at least one relevant, original photo, or if you are submitting a video blog provide a link to your video in your document
- Must identify any people featured in submitted photos
- Must have the following header:
- Author (list first name and last name)
- Office (if applicable: e.g., President, Secretary, Chapter Sponsor)
- School Name
- Visit the 2016 Convention Story Contest Submission Link through April 4.
- Click “Browse” to locate your story (.docx or .doc).
- Click “Attach”
- Next to “Graphics” click “Browse” to locate your headshot.
- Must be a color picture in .jpg format. The file needs to be named YourName.jpg (Example: JohnSmith.jpg)
- Click “Attach”
- Upload up to three images that pertain to your story.
- Click “Browse” to locate the first picture, then click “Attach.” Repeat this process for the other images.
- Must be a color picture in .jpg format. The file needs to be named YourName-Blog1.jpg, YourName-Blog2.jpg, YourName-Blog3.jpg
(Example: JohnSmith-Blog1.jpg, JohnSmith-Blog2.jpg, JohnSmith-Blog3.jpg)
- Fill in all the fields.
- Click “Save Changes”
- Click “Submit”
In addition to the criteria that the article address the contest topic, and meet the requirements listed above, articles will be judged according to a rubric that incorporates many, if not all of the following criteria:
- Inspires appreciation of words, language, and literature
- Furthers, promotes, or highlights one of the objectives of the Society
- Provides original content (does not duplicate the website)
- Shares relevant and useful information for Society members
- Contains a takeaway or key thought for members
- Includes a call to action or a question that promotes conversation
- Logical, clear, and accurate
- Written from a personal perspective (first person narrative)
- Informative and/or persuasive in nature
- Utilizes multimedia (pictures, videos, and web links)
- Well written, professional, and representative of the high standards of the Society
- Eye-catching, grabs the reader’s attention
- Meets a need (the reader feels like he/she needs to read it)