University of Nevada English Graduate Program
Come study at a Tier 1 research institution just miles from beautiful Lake Tahoe.
The Department of English at the University of Nevada, Reno confers M.A., M.F.A., and Ph.D. degrees. We offer emphases that allow students to specialize in Literature, Rhetoric and Composition, Creative Writing, and Language and Linguistics, while benefiting from strong mentorship and diverse course offerings. We are excited to announce two new offerings in our graduate program, with admissions currently open: The M.F.A. and the M.A. emphasis in Public Engagement.
Quick facts about our program
- We are a Carnegie-rated High Research Activity University.
- With a large graduate faculty, our program has specialists in most areas of literature, creative writing, rhetoric, composition, and linguistics.
- In our graduate program (65-80 students) every student receives one-on-one faculty mentoring, and the tone is friendly and supportive.
- M.A. alumni have entered successful careers in writing, publishing, community college teaching, business, and non-profits, and have been accepted to Ph.D. programs at other top-rated universities. Our Ph.D. program has a low attrition rate and an exceptional placement rate.
- Graduate students teach in both the Core Writing and Core Humanities programs.
- Teaching assistantships are available on a competitive basis. Students also may apply for conference travel support and summer research assistantships.
To learn more about our program, visit our website.